Corporate membership is open to any organisation which has some sort of legal basis. This could be a limited or unincorporated company, a partnership, a club, a charity and many others. First and foremost, this requires that your organisation be part of the "common bond" for the credit union; in our case, that means that you operate in Devon, Cornwall, or the Isles of Scilly. (If you don't qualify, try the Find Your Credit Union site to find out which credit union covers your area.) To join, you need to complete an Application Form (print it out or obtain one from a Service Point) to be accompanied by a copy of the document(s) which make your organisation a legal entity, such as an Article of Association or a Charity Constitution. Unless already a member of the credit union, we also require some personal identification information for each signatory on the account (we recommend a minimum of two as corporate savings withdrawal forms normally need two signatures for obvious reasons). Known as "Know Your Customer" or KYC checks, this is a requirement placed on all financial institutions, including banks, building societies and, of course, credit unions. It's part of the government Money Laundering Regulations and is necessary to prove the identity and address of the signatories. In most instances, we will be able to do this online (this will not affect your credit rating), but sometimes it is not possible or convenient, in which case we will inform you that we will be carrying out the checks ourselves. If this happens, you will need to provide a minimum of two forms of identification for each signatory, one from each of the following lists. In all cases we need to see ORIGINAL documents, not photocopies. If you are applying by post, we will return them with your membership welcome pack. Please do NOT send documents marked "No" in the "Applying by post" column below in case they get lost in the post. The same document can't be used to prove your Name and Address.
- Become part of your local financial cooperative
- Help support your local community
- Low membership cost - one off £5 fee on joining
- Low Annual Membership fee - just £5
- Savings protected by FSCS
Proof of Name
|Evidence we need to see for Trustee||Evidence we need to see for Junior|
|Valid Passport or ID Card||Valid Passport or ID Card|
|Valid full or provisional UK driving licence||Original Birth Certificate|
|Valid Student Union ID Card from a recognised UK university or valid NUS card with photo and date of birth||Adoption Certificate|
|Concessionary Photo Bus Pass||Red Book|
|Letter from Benefits Agency including Universal Credit welcome letter less than 3 months old|
|Letter from a professional person who knows you (solicitor, accountant, doctor, social worker or probation officer) less than 3 months old|
Proof of Current Address
|Evidence we need to see|
|Valid Full UK or Provisional Driving Licence|
|UK-based bank or building society statement less than 3 months old|
|UK-based bank or building society statement (must be less than 3 months old)|
|UK mortgage statement less than 3 months old|
|UK gas or electricity bill less than 3 months old|
|UK phone bill (not mobile) less than 3 months old|
|UK water bill less than 3 months old|
|UK council tax bill less than 3 months old|
|Letter from Benefits Agency, including Universal Credit welcome letter less than 3 months old|
|Benefit letter from your local housing authority less than 3 months old|
|Tenancy Agreement from a housing association or council|
|Letter from a university or college less than 3 months old|
We realise that sometimes it is not possible to provide documents from the lists above. In this case, please contact us, we may be able to accept alternatives.
And finally, before your organisation can become a member, you will need to pay a minimum of £5 into your savings account and pay the Corporate Membership Fee of £5 - this is to cover the administration costs of joining you up.
Any change of name or address, change of e-mail address or change of telephone or mobile number of any signatory must be notified to us immediately. If you do not do this we may charge your account with the cost of locating you. Proof of change of name or address may be required.
Membership Terms & Conditions
- To become a Corporate Member of City of Plymouth Credit Union, an organisation must have premises or operate in Devon, Cornwall or the Isles of Scilly.
- The membership fee for a Corporate Member of the credit union shall be £5.
- Membership shall commence on payment of the membership fee, plus a minimum of £5 in savings.
- If the total of all savings accounts falls below £25 and no transaction is performed for 12 months or more, we reserve the right to charge an administration fee of £5 and declare the account dormant.
- If the total of all of a Corporate Member's savings accounts falls below £5 and no transaction is performed for 12 months or more, we reserve the right to charge an administration fee of up to £5 and close the account.
- The credit union has the right to suspend a Corporate Account if fraudulent activity is suspected.
- Any change of name or address, change of e-mail address or change of telephone or mobile number of the Corporate Organisation or any of its signatories must be notified to us immediately. If you do not do this we may charge your account with the cost of locating you. Proof of change of name or address may be required.
- An annual dividend may be paid, gross of tax, on all sums deposited, subject to surplus. City of Plymouth Credit Union is not responsible for tax declarations and does not give advice on tax due on dividends. Please contact HMRC for advice.
- The dividend will be recommended by the Board of Directors and authorised by the members at the Annual General Meeting. Any dividend due will be paid as soon as practicable after the Annual General Meeting. Any dividend payable may be freely withdrawn.
- Any dividend due is calculated for the credit union financial year which is 1st October to 30th September. Dividend can only be paid to active members' accounts. Accounts closed after the financial year end (30th September onwards) but before the dividend is credited, will forfeit the right to any dividend due. Corporate Members who close their account during the financial year also forfeit the right to any dividend due.
- An Annual Membership Fee is chargeable of £5.
- A Corporate Member may leave the credit union at any time without penalty providing no debts are outstanding. All savings accounts will terminate on closure of the membership.
City of Plymouth Credit Union Limited
Registered Office: 14 Cumberland Street, Devonport, Plymouth, PL1 4DX Registered Number IP00511C
Authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the
Prudential Regulation Authority. FRN 213937
A Member of the Association of British Credit Unions Ltd (ABCUL)