Anyone under the age of 18 can join City of Plymouth Credit Union as a Junior Saver. Membership is FREE.
Joining is easy. Just complete a Junior Saver Application Form (print it out or obtain one from a Service Point) and we will open a Junior Saving Account for you. Remember, your parent, guardian or a grandparent must act as a trustee for your account.
Your trustee will need to prove their identity and current address and you will need to supply a valid UK or non-UK Passport, an ORIGINAL birth certificate, an ORIGINAL adoption certificate, or a Red Book as supplied by your Health Visitor. (For accounts opened through a school credit union branch, the school will confirm your identity. If your trustee is already a member of the credit union, then no further proof is required, otherwise, documents from the "Proof of Name" and "Proof of Current Address" tables below will also be required.)
If applying by post, please supply a Stamped Addressed Envelope or Special Delivery envelope with your application for return of documents. We cannot accept any liability for documents lost in the post.
Please don’t send the form as an email attachment as we need original signatures on the form and, as email is an insecure communication medium and many of the forms contain sensitive information, could lead to data protection issues.
- If you're under 18 years of age, you can join
- You can join directly with the credit union or via your school
- No membership fee!
- Must have a parent, guardian or grandparent to act as a trustee
- Automatic promotion to Adult Member at 18 with no membership fee
- Promote financial awareness
- Help with National Curriculum
Proof of Name
Supply one Document from each list.
|Evidence we need to see for Trustee||Evidence we need to see for Junior|
|Valid Passport or ID Card||Valid Passport or ID Card|
|Valid full or provisional UK driving licence||Original Birth Certificate|
|Valid Student Union ID Card from a recognised UK university or valid NUS card with photo and date of birth||Adoption Certificate|
|Concessionary Photo Bus Pass||Red Book|
|Letter from Benefits Agency including Universal Credit welcome letter less than 3 months old|
|Letter from a professional person who knows you (solicitor, accountant, doctor, social worker or probation officer) less than 3 months old|
Proof of Current Address
Supply one Document from list below.
|Evidence we need to see|
|Valid Full UK or Provisional Driving Licence|
|UK-based bank or building society statement less than 3 months old|
|UK-based bank or building society statement (must be less than 3 months old)|
|UK mortgage statement less than 3 months old|
|UK gas or electricity bill less than 3 months old|
|UK phone bill (not mobile) less than 3 months old|
|UK water bill less than 3 months old|
|UK council tax bill less than 3 months old|
|Letter from Benefits Agency, including Universal Credit welcome letter less than 3 months old|
|Benefit letter from your local housing authority less than 3 months old|
|Tenancy Agreement from a housing association or council|
|Letter from a university or college less than 3 months old|
When you reach the age of 18, you will automatically be promoted to being an Adult Member. And you won't have to pay a membership fee!
Terms and Conditions
- To become a Junior Saver of City of Plymouth Credit Union, the Junior must live or attend school in Devon, Cornwall or the Isles of Scilly at the time of application, be under 18 years of age and have permanent UK Residency.
- There is no charge associated with becoming a Junior Saver with the credit union.
- If the total of all savings accounts falls below £25 and no transaction is performed for 12 months, we reserve the right to charge an administration fee of £5 and declare the account dormant.
- If the total of all of a member's savings accounts falls below £5 and no transaction is performed for 12 months, we reserve the right to charge an administration fee of up to £5 and close the account.
- The credit union has the right to suspend the account if fraudulent activity is suspected.
- The account must be opened by a Responsible Adult who act as an Account Trustee. The Responsible Adult must be a parent, legal guardian or grandparent.
- All funds deposited in a Junior Saver account are the property of the Junior Saver, not the Responsible Adult.
- On joining, the Responsible Adult applying should enter the date or age at which the Junior Saver can sign to withdraw their savings without a counter signature from the Responsible Adult. This may be updated in writing subsequently by the Responsible Adult.
- At age 18, the Junior Saver will become an Adult Member and will be solely responsible for their account with the City of Plymouth Credit Union. The membership fee will be waived in this instance.
- Any correspondence relating to the account will be sent to the current address held for the Responsible Adult unless otherwise requested and agreed.
- Any change of name, address, e-mail address, telephone or mobile number of the Junior Saver or Responsible Adult must be notified to us immediately.
- Unless already a member of the City of Plymouth Credit Union, the Responsible Adult will need to provide proof of identity and proof of current address as detailed in the table below. One form of identification for the Junior Saver must also be provided unless joining through a City of Plymouth Credit Union School Branch, in which case they will confirm the identity of the Junior. This can be a birth certificate or passport.
- An annual interest payment may be paid, gross of tax, equivalent to the adult dividend rate, on all sums deposited in the Junior Saving Account, subject to surplus.
- The dividend rate will be recommended by the Board of Directors and approved by the members at the Annual General Meeting each year.
- Any interest due will be paid into the account as soon as practicable following the Annual General Meeting.
- To close a Junior Saving account, a Junior Saving Withdrawal must be made to reduce the balance to £0.
- Should a Junior Saving Account be closed over the course of the year, no interest will be payable.
- Should a Junior Member die, all savings will be paid to the Responsible Adult.
- If the Responsible Adult dies or becomes incapacitated, then a new application shall be completed with a different Responsible Adult to act as Trustee.
City of Plymouth Credit Union Limited
Registered Office: 14 Cumberland Street, Devonport, Plymouth, PL1 4DX Registered Number IP00511C
Authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the
Prudential Regulation Authority. FRN 213937
A Member of the Association of British Credit Unions Ltd (ABCUL)